This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Nation Stops ... Melbourne Cup

Just back from a Melbourne Cup Chicken & Champagne Lunch (hic ...), a tradition here in this country...most of the country literally stops for The Race of the Nation...and we just couldn't miss out ... the lunch venue ... ... a local bowling club with a backdrop of good old Aussie gums ...
... the board with all the horses names, bets on everywhere ...

... like I said, we all stop for it ...

... champagne for the table ...
... put on the fascinator, beads and shawl ... don't forget the bag ...

... and our Jo-Jo even decorated her very own hat for her celebration ...
I would say a great day by all who participated in Australia ... I hope you all enjoyed your Melbourne Cup Celebration, whether a quiet one at home with the television on or one of the many Chicken & Champagne lunches that abound ... Here's to the Melbourne Cup ...

7 comments:

Kimonos and Sushi(OLD BLOG) said...

Yes the Melbourne Cup certainly stops the nation. I didn't have a bet on the race....I had the day off school and potted around the house.Have not achieved much on the sewing front this past week a bit distracted. Son has Uni swatvac and just the end of year things going on.I have just finished watching Pharlap on Austar...gee that horse was great...Have a great rest of the week Andrea:)

Caroline said...

I just read about this on another blog...WOW...it's quite the celebration! How fun! I have never heard of this...we have the Kentucky Derby, but it's no holiday...

a good yarn said...

Any excuse to wear a hat! My horse (in the sweep) ran dead last. We had a nice afternoon tea though. No bubbly though (working). Jo-Jo's hat is a corker!

Cheers...Ann :)

Marja Kristiina said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for visiting and for leaving such a nice comment. Hope to see you soon again!

I found your blog utterly fascinating. It contained armloads of new and interesting info for yours truly up north!

Take care!

Millie said...

Looks like you had a wow of a time. My nag is still running I reckon! Tell Jo-Jo she looked quite gorgeous in her Cup Day hat.
Millie ^_^

Margaret said...

I had a $15.00 quinella you pick seven horses - Could any of the seven come in 1st and 2nd . No three of them were the last three home. Glad you had a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dzintra!
What fun you had! I love the horses. I'm learning things about Austrailia through you. Tell Jo-Jo her hat is fabulous!
Best,
Catherine

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...