This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Lovely Weekend...and Christmas in July!!!

What a lovely weekend our home at the Coast is having...
To start it all off on Friday afternoon I received a package from Micki...
part of which is for JoJo's upcoming birthday...
and a little surprise tucked in with it...
this stunning bookmark!!! Wow, how gorgeous is this I thought...
the colours are so bright and vivid...
And a special note came with it...
All machine embroidered complete with Hugs!!!
Thank you so much Dear Micki!!!
I'm going to use this Bookmark in this book...The Time Traveler's Wife...recommended by Micki...
This book is consistently in the Top 100...
so recently thought I had better get it...
I've had a quick look into it and found upon opening the cover this very poignant piece of poetry...
LOVE AFTER LOVE
The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was yourself.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.
~Derek Walcott~
This piece offers much to ponder about I think...
Not a day goes by when I don't pick up a book...if only to admire the cover...remember when I bought it...remember when I read it...
Last night we had our very own Christmas in July dinner here...
at JoJo's request!!!
We had a turkey in the freezer (due to overordering at Christmas time) and thought okay...let's do it!!!
Unbeknown to us...DH had a gift for us...
mine was this wonderful book...
Making Antique Quilts...
Antique quilts are the fabric of American crafting history, and their beauty has endured through the centuries...
The classic styles presented date from the pioneer days of the 1850's through wartime 1940's...
Text from the book...
A lovely lovely book...with lots of historical information and how to make your own quilts if you wish...
don't know if I'm up to that though!!!
For the American readers...
most of the quilts were photograped at the Escondido Historical Society,
Escondido, California...
Maybe this is near you Vicki...
It's off now for me to see if I can finish a little needlecase...
and get ready for the showdown tonight on Masterchef...
Julie or Poh!!!

14 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Happy Christmas in July dear Dzintra. What a lucky girl to own that gorgeous 'Making Antique Quilts' book. Your DH has good taste in getting gift. Hope there are some Antique Amish quilts in there for you to make - Have a nice weekend dear - Hugs Nat

a good yarn said...

Wow, Micki's has made a fantastic bookmark. She is very clever. Glad you enjoyed Christmas turkey in July - it's certainly the right weather for eating it. The antique quilt book will be a good read I'm sure. Enjoy!

Ann :)

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Happy Christmas in July Dzinra! Happy Birtday JoJo! Two of my sons and my mother were also born in July.

I grew up about 45 minues drive from Escondido. Its about an 8 hour drive south for us, but we go down to Souhern California to visit my brother and family about once a year. I didn't know the Escondido Historical Society holds those lovely quilts. I'm glad to know about it, and my mother would love to go with me, so maybe we'll have a visit there next time.
XO Vicki

Kath said...

What a lovely gift! The strangest thing is, I am just listening to that book on CD in the car! love Kath in England

Anonymous said...

What a pretty bookmark! The book from DH looks like a good one - what a nice idea to celebrate a little Christmas in July. Looks like you have good reading and a good showdown to keep you busy in the evening. Enjoy!

Alice's Aunt said...

A Christmas in July dinner! What a great idea JoJo had.

And a Happy upcoming Birthday to JoJo!

'Alice's Aunt'

Simone de Klerk said...

What a wonderful weekend you had!!! Love the bookmarker Micki made you and such a lovely suprise from your DH! JoJo certainly does have great ideas (O: and she has wonderful parents to make her dreams come true!

Fer said...

What lovely treats! I've heard about that novel, I hope you enjoy it.

Mmmm, yummy turkey.... !

vicki archer said...

i want to read the Time Traveler's WIfe too Dzintra....it is on my list of books. I hope the turkey was delish, xv.

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,JoJo had a good idea with the Christmas in July Lunch. Did you manage to put some Decorations around as well? I have had that book from the Library,its a good one isn't it. And no you don't have to make anything just enjoy the book. Happy days.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas in July! and yummy turkey and a wonderful present. Micki's work is just beautiful. I haven't read that book but I think my sister has a copy. I will have to borrow it.

Clarity said...

It sounds like a lovely day and what lovely gifts, I adore the bookmark, that is a sweet gift - I also like thoughtful gift from your Dear.

Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog, xx.

Micki said...

Glad that you liked it Dzintra. I know how much you read, and that seemed the perfect gift for you. The book that you got is wonderful! I love antique quilts, and I am sure that you will enjoy it for years to come. Enjoy your Christmas in July! JoJo and you all are going to have a ball! Happy Birthday again to JoJo!!!
Micki

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas in July Dzintra, thank you for your kind thoughts for Jess.......lovely gift from Micki .....regards lyn

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...