This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Floriade 2011...



A couple of weeks ago JoJo and I went up to Canberra...Australia's Capital City to see the magnificent Floriade...Australia's largest flower festival...


Beautiful tulips in the sunshine...








Amongst it all a Ferris Wheel...and yes, we had to go on it!!!
Surprising the ages of people lining up for a turn...
older people...youger...couples but I loved seeing the older ones...
made me think perhaps they were revisiting days gone by...



The view from up high...



Lake Burley Griffin in the background...named after Walter Burley Griffin the American Architect who designed Canberra...



Telstra Tower also known as Black Mountain Tower...


The hit of the day!!!
The Concert Street Organ 'Australia Fair'...
whose roots lie in Europe where they were developed in the 19th century...
They are known as Dutch Street Organs because The Netherlands is where these instruments were most successful and they are still in use today.

The historic street organ works Verbeeck Orgelfabriek survives today and Australia Fair,
built by them in 1992 is a direct link with history.

(Info from pamphlet)


JoJo with Rick and one of the 'books' that is played...
she is just mesmerized...



Some of the 'books'
Rick asked JoJo what she would like to hear and she responded with
'Phantom of the Opera'...good choice JoJo!!!


The 'book' is playing from left to right...


And of course we had to get a CD...

'Australia Fair' music from YouTube playing Que Sera at Floriade 2010...
this video also shows the workings at the back...



After all this fun we had to have morning coffee...milkshake for JoJo  and cheesecake...


and a Macaron or 2 for me!!!
I think Floriade will be an annual event for us now...
for the Ferris Wheel...catch up with Rick and Australia Fair...
and of course the flowers!!!

Thank you so much Rick for taking the time to show us 'Australia Fair'!!!


17 comments:

RitaGri said...

Cik tomēr pasaule ir interesanta! Pie mums rudens ar dzeltenām krītošām lapām, pēdējie ziedi rudens salnā, bet pie jums pavasara krāšņākie ziedi! Jauka diena jums bijusi šajā ziedu pasaulē!
Rudenīgi, bet saulaini sveicieni no Latvijas!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a wonderful day you and JoJo had! Ive seen that organ and was mesmerized too! You take such beautiful photos!

Zuly said...

Hi Dzintra:
I like your blog! The blog is very varied and different.
That most precious flower is a spectacular place.
Your daughter enjoyed it!
mmm delicious desserts ... I want a piece!
Greetings from Costa Rica,
Zuly Castillo U.

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful........one day I will get to floriade...thanks for sharing.......

Show and Tell said...

The flowers are lovely Dzintra....my friend Carol and I went last year....Glad you both had such a lovely time......

Dedo de moça patchwork said...

Que lugar lindo,e as cores das tulipas são lindas!!!
Que dia maravilhoso voces devem ter passado, quem sabe um dia eu irei nessa florada?
Bj
Roseli

rosie said...

Dzintra, those pictures are amazing.. I love the ones of JoJo and the incredible organ.. Wish I could have heard it and watched her face!! Glad you had such a special time..xx

Jeni said...

Sounds like you had a great time....what beautiful flowers.I must go one year

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

Wow the view from the ferris wheel is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing your day.Did you go home and make some macaroons?
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Terry said...

Glad JOjo had such a great day. Colors views and food were all yummy. Jo jo looked so happy. Good for you!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HOLY COW, there is a lot of color and flavor in your WORLD AT THIS MOMENT! Dearest, YOU and JOJO had a BLAST OF A TIME!!!!!!!!!!! That cheesecake is calling me...I can hear it....

CHEERS! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dzintra! Oh yes, THERE IS SO MUCH HAPPY COLOR, indeed! Ahhhh.....I have today and tomorrow off from work, so i am perusing my favorite blogs, and I am so glad to come back here to see the beauty! ENJOY ANOTHER FABULOUS DAY and my you enjoy healing every day.

BIG HUGS! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

AH! Warm weather DOES BRING HAPPY HEALING MOMENTS! I am so glad to hear that FINALLY, relief is in close sight for you my dearest!!!! BISOUS, Anita

Kath said...

Wow all that colour!
I am sending my Honorary Uncle bernard over to see that organ, he will be very interested I'm sure.

VancityAllie said...

Gorgeous photos! What colour!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Dzintra, your comment is so kind....and yes, my new header shows the gradual change into our cooler weather, and the leaves are indeed falling. YES, a miracle has occurred in a small but significant way. Teaching is tough, children are not always easy, but for sure, a hearty and joyful HALLELUJAH only comes through pain.

HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY! Anita

Palomasea said...

Oh here I am after darling Anita!!

What a beautiful post!! I am so glad for you and your magnificent day out..such a spectacular place! I absolutely love that you share your experiences, and we get to see this incredible part of the world...THANK YOU!!

Blessings,
- Irina

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...