This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter...Priecigas Lieldienas


This pic was taken last Easter...eggs coloured using onion skins...

Latvians tend to colour eggs every year...
one method my Mother/Mamin and Grandmother/Vecmamin used was to wrap an egg with coloured cloth...(old clothes and rags were perfect) with thread and then boil...
When cold 'grease' with bacon fat...

I have found a blog written by an American Latvian living in France and Liene describes a bit about colouring the eggs with onion skin...

On Easter Sunday morning we would have 'egg fights'...
choose a partner...position your egg in your hand and then each 'taps' one end of their egg until someones shatters...then turn over and to the other side...the one with unbroken sides wins!!!

Mr Armchair's was different......his family would have turns in tapping the other one's eggs...we weren't that polite ha ha!!!

Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in spring-time.
~Martin Luther~

and I couldn't resist this one...

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!
~Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz~


Wishing all my blogging friends and  families a very Happy and Safe Easter...


Dzintra xoxo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

a safe and happy easter to you and your family.xx

Simone de Klerk said...

Family traditions are so special! We did our egg clutching the way your dh did it. And, we still do it, every year when the family comes together on Sunday for the traditional Easter brunch. Chocolate eggs are hidden outside and the kids get to search for them. Each year, some will go missing ;o)
Happy Easter to you and your family, Dzintra!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOOOOOOOO LOVE IT ALL MY DEAREST DZINTRA! From festive traditions, to religious awakenings, and new leaves budding promise of sunshine, the EARTH REJOICES with love. AND MAY your celebration be a warm memory of all the love you have created with your family! CHEERS MY DEAR! Anita

Rachaeldaisy said...

Hello Dzintra,
I loved hearing about your Easter traditions. I remember dying eggs with onion skins when I was little. We used to melt candle wax and do designs on the eggs too. I've never heard of egg fights. I might practice with some chocolate eggs. Great quotes too!! Wishing you all a very happy Easter!!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Happy Happy EAster Dear Dzintra
Well It's great to see you and Jo Jo in your banner shot!!! Mind you I can hear you singing away just looking at that shot.. you'll be treading the boards again soon I'm sure..

Thanks for popping in.. I've been such a slacker of late.. so it's lovely to see my old friends pop up to visit..

Have a great Easter,...ciao ciao xxx Julie

Palomasea said...

A beautiful and safe Easter to you and your darling family! Thank you, dear friend, for your wishes...
How I love to hear about various traditions...what a gorgeous shade, those eggs!
Sending love and light to you,
- Irina

Fer said...

Happy Easter Dzintra. The eggs look lovely!

Nat Palaskas said...

Happy Easter Dzintra, love dyed eggs, must try that next Easter. I have been trying to leave you a comment from my beloved iPhone, but I see it didn't work. Enjoy yours - hugs
Nat

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

Thanks so much for sharing your Easter traditions. The eggs look great coloured.

Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...